Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Hotness Monster


Anyone who watches the television show “Greek” will know exactly what I am talking about when I say that I was smiling from ear to ear this weekend when there was a sighting of my Hotness Monster.
Now I know that most people out there are busy asking “The Hotness what?” and I can totally relate because until I saw the show I had never heard of it before either. Well to give you the cliff notes version Ashleigh one of the main characters on the show Greek (which is set at a American college) briefly meets this really super hot guy at spring break but as she does not get his name nor sees him again that weekend she begins to refer to him as the hotness monster. I love the term as it has just the right amount of humour and cuteness. So I decided to start using it to describe by own Hotness Monster much to the amusement of my friends who did not quite know what I was on about at first.
And so I began to think about how terms come about and end up being used. I googled “Hotness Monster” and guess what there it was…..in a dictionary if you can believe that! According to the Urban Dictionary website
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hotness%20monster
A hotness monster is a cute play off of the "Lochness monster". A hotness monster is a man or woman who is sizzling and near unattainable. He/she is the royalty of hotness. (Origin: Ottawa, Canada)
Urban Dictionary is actually quite an awesome website that has some funny definitions of words all of which are added by ordinary people like us. I love the fact that we live in a world that is basically a huge network of communication and creation. I can be in Grahamstown and chat to my friends all over the world via email, Skype and IM. A term like the hotness monster can be coined and put out there for all to understand. The world is no longer rigid but flexible and open to people’s creativity which in the words of Neil Armstrong “is a giant leap for mankind”.

No comments: